Flying in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) requires additional training. This is the next step for many pilots in their flight training. During this instrument training program, pilots further develop their skills to make them a more proficient and safer pilot. You will have the opportunity to fly when VFR pilots can’t in less than ideal weather conditions.
In this training program, you will learn how to control and fly the airplane solely by reference to instruments. Upon successful completion this course, you will have the aeronautical experience necessary to apply for a FAA instrument rating certificate. Let’s get in the clouds!
- 18 years old
- Hold a FAA Private Pilot license
- Obtain a FAA 3rd class medical
- Fluent in the English language
- 50 hours Pilot in Command (PIC)
- 10 hours cross country Pilot in Command (PIC)
- Complete a ground school course
- Pass the FAA written exam
- 15 hours dual (with instructor)
- 40 hours actual or simulated instrument
- One 250nm instrument cross country flight
- Pass the FAA check ride
With a Instrument Rating You Can
- Fly under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR)
- Recieve Air Traffic Control (ATC) services for the duration of your flight
- Fly when the VFR pilots can’t
So Tell me
What does it cost?
|Airplane (Dual Instruction)||15||$135/hr||$2,025|
|Airplane (with safety Pilot)||35||$135/hr||$4,725|
|King Ground School||–||$279||$279|
|FAA Knowledge Exam||–||$150||$150|
|Aircraft for Checkride||1.5||$130/hr||$195|
* These prices are just an estimate and do not include examiner fees for the checkride. Actual costs will vary on an individual basis depending on different learning styles and the proficiency and preparation of the pilot.
Nick and his flight instructors are top notch. I’m very impressed with the quality as well as appearance of the aircraft. Scott Koon has been an exceptional instructor for my son Trevor.
They are professional, friendly, and wonderful. Scott Koon is really a great instructor!
I like Great Planes Aviation flight school because you can progress at your own pace so your learning is not rushed. The instructors take the time for you to learn and create a welcoming environment for you to feel comfortable, ask questions, and make everything understandable.
Great business, great staff, and literally great planes. They are a business but a business that cares strongly about their clients and the consumer.
Awesome, knowledgeable and friendly instructors, great service and meticulously maintained airplanes!
I took my first flight lesson from Great Planes and it was an awesome experience!